MOSCOW ENGLISH LANGUAGE TEACHERS ASSOCIATION
АССОЦИАЦИЯ УЧИТЕЛЕЙ И ПРЕПОДАВАТЕЛЕЙ АНГЛИЙСКОГО ЯЗЫКА МОСКВЫ И МОСКОВСКОЙ ОБЛАСТИ
Founder – Fund “Pedagogical University Pervoye Sentyabrya” with the support of the Moscow Department of Education, the Moscow Region Ministry of Education, the National Association of Teachers of English.
MELTA is a joint chapter of the National Association of Teachers of English (NATE).
Our mission is to stimulate, support, and provide opportunities for the improvement of EL teaching and learning.
To accomplish our mission, the Association has a set of beliefs that are ingrained in the way we think and act as a professional organization. These values guide our choices as we set our objectives, formulate our strategies, choose our actions, and evaluate our results.
We believe that:
- our actions and decisions must reflect the highest ethical and professional standards.
- success is based on our abilities to hear, respect, and respond to the needs of the Association membership.
- an atmosphere of cooperation and mutual respect must be fostered among those responsible for the successful operation of schools: parents, students, educators. Our goals and objectives can be achieved only with the learner in the centre of the educational process.
- bringing the language, literature, and culture of the English-speaking world to Russian learners of English, sharing Russian culture and values is a vital humanistic endeavor, which serves essential national interests.
- we are committed to sharing and promoting best practices in ELT in order to further professional growth and continuous learning opportunities for our members. Regional associations are free to implement the mission to meet the needs of particular region.
To unite on a voluntary basis school and university teachers of the English language and culture of Moscow and the Moscow region for:
- Elevating the prestige of the English language teacher profession;
- Creating a favourable environment for both professional development and communication;
- Achieving an effective methodological and linguistic link between school and university teachers;
- Defending teachers’ rights;
- Rendering support for young teachers;
- Promoting opportunities to integrate innovative approaches in the field of EL teaching;
- Sharing ideas, insights and experiences to enhance teacher classroom performance.
- To organize various forms of professional communication and professional development:
- Autumn and Spring Forums;
- Professional development and re-training courses, IT and law study courses;
- Scientific research projects, seminars, workshops, trainings, special interest groups, summer and winter schools, contests, festivals;
- To defend the professional interests of English language teachers:
- Render psychological and juridical support;
- Provide teachers with information on ELT events by running an Internet site and Internet Forum on FB group page;
- Create a bank of pedagogical ideas, programmes, teaching materials, etc.
- To ensure effective coordination of all agents of the social educational process: teachers, students, parents and the community:
- Organize scientific-practical conferences, seminars, Festivals, Olympiads for students;
- Work on educational exchange projects with educational institutions of the English speaking countries
- Solve problem situations by drawing community attention and rendering methodological help.